BOOK NOW JOIN US

Search Phone
News Header

Peter and his Ladies - And in true Sports Day style, it rained!

This was a bit like sports day with the usual issue of some sailors phoning in “ill” whilst at the same time posting pictures of themselves on holiday with their family.  Schools hadn’t even broken up. Hmmmm….

Body Image

And in true Sports Day style it rained!  

Really rained, even though the weather apps said that there would be an 8% chance of rain. 8%!! Sue, Angie and myself, huddled in the RIB, thinking to ourselves “What are we doing out here?”.  Possibly the same thoughts from the 12 sailors as well to be honest. 

But with an 8% chance of rain, you know that if it is raining there is a 92% chance that it is going to stop and stop it did.

Coach Peter v Coach Angie

The starts at the beginning left a bit to be desired, but as the rain cleared the starts improved.  I think that the sailing improved perhaps due to Coach Angie encouraging some of the group to ignore everything that I said and to just do their own thing…  I think that if Coach Angie had done any RYA Coaching courses she would know that there should only be one voice from a coach boat…….

I will not name and shame those that phoned in “ill”, possibly from a beach somewhere in the Med – where better for the whole family to recuperate from a sudden illness that hit the whole family at the same time - but we had our end of summer term regatta with four races and a medal race.  This was complicated by having Lasers and Fusions out so we gave the Fusions a one minute head start per race which seemed as scientific as we needed to be.

We had people missing out the start (Lis G), missing out marks (Karina), barging in at the start (Yvonne), leading and then forgetting that there were 2 laps (Sarah), attempting to hit every boat in 5 seconds (Mel), starting early, very early (Pip), scaring me into letting them go early (Jo S) and general magnificent sailing from all.

Cue the video....

I’ve put up most of the videos to show how close the racing was, how good the sailing was and how much fun everyone had.

And the winner is......

Of course it was Yvonne in a Fusion followed by Karina in a Laser.  Last podium place went to Jo S in a Laser then a Fusion sailed by Pip came in 4th.  So, the handicap system seems to have worked out well.

There was a bit of latitude at the start as, well it was the end of term and well, Jo S scares me….

Having just gone through all the videos, it reminded how much fun the days sailing was. It really was like an end of term examination but without the exam bit.  Putting everything together for some really close and exciting racing with nearly everyone being at the front of the pack at some stage with some great starts, great mark rounding’s and a lot of laughing.  So, nothing like an end of term examination then……

That was it for the summer break and we all meet up again in September......

Share this


The long-term benefits of a great residential trip (inside and outside of the classroom)

The long-term benefits of a great residential trip (inside and outside of the classroom)

Students and teachers return from a residential trip buzzing with excitement and stories of their adventure. But how does a residential trip benefit students long term...

Teaching someone with Tourette Syndrome

Teaching someone with Tourette Syndrome

Rockley College teacher Mark talks about his experience of teaching a student with Tourette's for the first time - the varying strategies he has adopted, the ups, the...

The benefits of a school residential trip for teachers and group leaders >

Teachers are amazing! However, with increasing pressures on workload and such a busy job, why take the extra time to organise a school trip? Well, because believe it or not there are many benefits for you, as well as the students. 

Preparing young people for their first residential trip (for the youngsters) >

Every young person is unique - some come across as confident, energetic leaders, whilst others shy away from the limelight to work away in the background. Here at Rockley, we celebrate the achievements of all our students and nurture and mould their skill set. However, no matter how outgoing or confident a young person may be - going on a school trip away from home for the first time, can be scary and daunting which is why we want their first trip away to be a fantastic one! 

We're making waves!

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Rockley Partners

FOLLOW US

View one of our online brochures:

SCHOOLS INSTRUCTOR WATERSPORTS FAMILY HOLIDAYS College

CALL: +44 (0)1202 677272
EMAIL: hello@rockley.org
PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS & CONDITIONS
VISIT: Rockley Point, Poole, BH15 4RW

Website by Fathom

Enquire