Staying healthy- keeping up with a nutritious lifestyle
Food wise, going away on holiday or for work for me can be a calorific nightmare! How am I going to keep up with my healthy eating? As I’m travelling I get peckish and there is nowhere to buy fruit and veg and when eating out it is difficult to pick a healthy choice as you just don’t know what is going into the food! When you add children and young people into the equation there are so many other options to consider- fussy eaters, allergies and catering for all.
So how do Rockley make our meal times stress free and healthy?
1. Our buffet-style breakfasts and lunches mean that there will always be something that your pupils will like. And for those who are particularly hungry after a morning of activities, you can add that little extra to your plate
2. All our centres are nut free and we cater for all dietary requirements – vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free. Just let us know.
3. We cook homemade, fresh food meaning we know exactly what is going into our meals- nothing processed with added nasties!
4. We source our food locally- supporting local businesses and ensuring it is all fresh!
5. All our chefs are picked because they are experienced at catering for large groups and different dietary requirements - they will always ask if they aren’t sure of your needs.
6. Our menu is designed with your pupils in mind with different options each day. We do throw in a few local delicacies to mix it up for the more adventurous, but we ensure nobody goes hungry!
7. Drinking water is important – all our sites have fresh water drinking stations, and our staff make sure everyone is getting enough fluids inside them! Make sure you bring your refillable drinks bottle
8. Eating is al fresco which is both sociable and promotes a healthy lifestyle
The importance of refuelling- why what your children eat is important:
1. A good balanced diet for children will help build a foundation for the future. Their growing bodies need healthy food to fuel them and when they are on the go and active all day, their nutritional needs may change.
2. Children who eat healthy, well-balanced meals and snacks will get the nutrients needed to perform well in our activities and give them the energy for an action-packed week! When children are active all day, they will have higher energy and fluid requirements.
3. Kids and teens who are on the go all day will not only need the right amount of calories to keep them fuelled up, but also a variety of nutrients to keep them performing at their best.
Vitamins and minerals
Youngsters need a variety of vitamins and minerals. Calcium and iron are two important minerals for active children:
Calcium helps build strong bones to resist breaking and stress fractures. Our menu includes a variety of calcium-rich foods such as low-fat dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese as well as leafy green vegetables such as broccoli.
Iron helps carry oxygen to all the different body parts that need it. We make sure iron-rich foods such as lean meat, chicken, eggs, and leafy green vegetables are included each day.
Protein helps build and repair muscles, and most kids get plenty of it through the foods we offer. Protein-rich foods we cook include lean meat and poultry, dairy products, beans and soy products.
Carbohydrates provide energy for the body. Some diet plans have urged weight-conscious adults to steer clear of carbs, but for active young people they're an important source of fuel. Without carbs in their diet, kids will be running on empty. Rockley include options such as pasta, rice, bread and cereal, and plenty of fruits and vegetables.
A little French surprise!
As a unique addition to our French holidays, one evening per week Rockley source the finest local French delicacies for you to try! Muscles, frogs legs and snails are often on the menu followed by a filling main course! All served with French baguette of course! Be adventurous and give the French dishes a try… don’t worry, English alternatives available!
We hope this has put your mind at ease that on a Rockley holiday those who take an activity trip with us will be sure to eat a variety of healthy, nutritious and tasty food- we guarantee that no one will go hungry!
For further information about our school residential trips, please click below