Group Leaders | FAQ| | Rockley


Search Phone
Header Image

Ski Residential Trips to France for Schools & Groups

Group Leaders FAQs

Here is a list of questions, together with our answers, that we get asked regularly by Group Leaders:

< Go back to documents & advice



Is our money safe?

In accordance with The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992, all pupils and accompanying adults booking with Rockley Adventure, part of Rockley Watersports Ltd, are fully protected for the initial deposits and subsequently the balance of all monies paid to us, including repatriation if required, arising from cancellation or curtailment of your trip due to the insolvency of Rockley Watersports Ltd.

This protection is provided by way of an insurance policy arranged by International Passenger Protection Limited and underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd's.  For further information please go to

IPP Policy Number 20450

There is no requirement for financial protection of Day Trips and none is provided.


International Passenger Protection


Do we need passports?

You are required to have a full 10 year passport in order to visit France and non-EU passport holders may require visas. Young people travelling as a group can travel under a Group Passport obtainable from the Passport Agency. Contact them for further information on 0300 222 0000 

Lost, stolen or new passports will take a minimum of 2 weeks to replace. At the time of writing and as a resident of the UK you do not require a passport to visit our centres in Poole!


Do the coaches have seatbelts?

All the UK coach company operators used on our inclusive French activity trips comply with UK, as well as EU law, and are fitted with seatbelts. It is the Group Leader's responsibility to ensure that the seatbelts are worn.


What are the procedures in an emergency?

Understandably, as Leader of your Group you need to be assured that in the very unlikely event of a serious incident or emergency situation arising that this would be dealt with in the most sensitive, efficient and professional manner possible.  We have been delivering outdoor experiences to young people and groups for over 40 years and have developed comprehensive operating procedures for delivering our activities in the safest way possible, complying with all relevant legislation and governing body advice and guidelines.

Whilst our extensive experience and high standard of safe operating procedures make a serious accident or incident very unlikely, we are never complacent to the fact that one could occur, and as such our operating procedures contain protocols in the event of an emergency situation. Our team are trained in our emergency procedures and are supported in this by our Safety Management System which includes step-by-step guides and relevant emergency contact information details. Our centres have vhf radio and both landline and mobile telephones for emergency communication.

Group Leaders can be assured that we review and monitor our emergency procedures annually.  All of our centres are within 1 hour of a full Accident & Emergency Hospital, with ambulance and air ambulance support available for the most serious medical emergency.

Group Leaders will have provided us with contact details for their Headteacher and a school-based contact to assist with efficient, accurate and appropriate dissemination of information should a situation arise affecting a pupil or member of staff whilst on the trip with us.  We have a strict procedure regarding communication in the event of a serious incident or medical emergency and this also forms part of our emergency procedures.


What about safety?

All our watersports centres are recognised by the RYA (Royal Yachting Association) for the tuition of sailing, windsurfing and powerboating and are inspected annually. This means that our watersports activites are run in line with the guidelines laid down by our NGB, the Royal Yachting Association and encompass staff qualifications and experience, instructor to participant ratios and operational procedures. In addition, our UK centres are AALS (Adventure Activities Licensing Scheme) licenced and recognised by the Institute for Outdoor Learning. 

Our AALS Registration Number is L10266/R0058

We have also developed a comprehensive Safety Management System to monitor, record and implement safe operation of our centres and activities, which encompasses policies, risk assessments, emergency and operating procedures.

RYA TRaining CentreAALA


What about insurance?

The cost of our overseas residential activity trips includes personal accident and travel insurance cover for each member of your group (except anyone normally resident outside the UK). The insurance policy is an annual one and is valid for trip departures between 1st January and 31st December.

If your school or LEA require additional or increased cover under any section, this can normally be arranged, although there may be an extra premium charge, please contact us for further details.

If, as a whole group, you do not require our travel insurance cover please notify us, in writing, and including the details of your own travel insurance policy. Your own policy should afford, as a minimum, comparable cover to that offered by the Rockley Adventure Travel Insurance policy.

Further and full details including the complete policy wording are available to view or download below.

If you do need to make a claim on the travel insurance policy, please see the contact us on 01202 677272 (Mon-Fri, 0900-1700) or email us your query on [email protected]


Are there any extra charges?

Our residential school group trips are fully inclusive of our activities as detailed here and in your group's itinerary, all meals and drinks from arrival to departure at the centre, insurance and, for trips to our French centres, return travel. We do offer a number of extra additional activities and excursions to enhance your trip. These can be arranged and paid for in advance through your account manager and are subject to availability. No refunds will be given for extras booked and paid for but not used.

It is advisable to include a contingency fund of at least £10 - £15 per person in the overall cost of the trip.  This will enable you to cover the cost of any incidental expenses whilst on the trip. For example, you may need to pay for a doctor's consultation or cover the cost of prescribed medication (these sorts of fees are applicable in France). Any left over contingency fund can be returned to parents on your return to school. Some groups have used the contingency fund at the end of the trip to provide pupils with an ice cream treat or with a meal on the return journey.


Do my group have to be strong swimmers?

Funnily enough you don't have to be a strong swimmer, or even a swimmer at all, to enjoy our watersports activities, although it does help to be water confident. As mentioned above, we provide buoyancy aids and, provided we are notified in writing, we can accept non-swimmers on our activity trips.


What specialist equipment is required?

A watersports trip (unlike a ski trip) does not require much in the way of specialist, expensive equipment. We provide all the necessary boats, boards, bikes and kayaks as well as approved buoyancy aids! You usually only need to bring swimming things and some old clothing and trainers you don't mind getting wet. Nevertheless, the watersports activities can be most fully enjoyed if participants wear a rash vest and wetsuit shoes, which are widely available to purchase. A wetsuit might also be a useful purchase for activites in the UK and these are also now widely available at reasonable cost.

Parents/guardians can be directed to Decathlon to purchase good quality clothing and equipment. 

We provide a comprehensive kit list to all our schools and groups, this can be found here: 

French Trips

UK Trips

We're making waves!




View one of our online brochures:


CALL: +44 (0)1202 677272
EMAIL: [email protected]
VISIT: Rockley Point, Poole, BH15 4RW

Website by Fathom

Scroll button